Sunday, June 1, 2008

The infamous University lake beaver

University lake is across the street from where I am staying this summer. I walk there just about every night to relax and enjoy the scenery. The area is also an off-leash dog park so I get to see a bunch of great dogs (my current favorite is an irish wolfhound whose nose comes up to my armpit) and a great view of the mountains and the lake. Every year, around baby season, the beaver who lives in University lake gets very aggressive in defending his lodge and his babies. There was an article in the local paper last weekend warning that the beaver is biting dogs who get too close to its lodge. As I walked around the lake I had seen trees in various states of being gnawed by the beaver - but I had not seen the actual beaver.

One night I was sitting on a bench overlooking the lake (isn't it a great view!) and some dogs were playing fetch in the water near me. I was on the phone with Josh, watching the dogs play and the beaver came right up to us. He smacked his tail on the water (a very clear beaver warning) and started to go after the dogs. The owners were smart and called the dogs away before they were bitten and the beaver went on his way. Unfortunately, I did not bring my camera with me that night so I could not get a picture of the beaver.


Im sure that no one will be surprised to find out that I went back the next night with my camera. I was not successful in getting a picture of the beaver - but I did see him and he showed me where his lodge was. The following night I went back with my camera and waited close to his lodge until I finally got some great pictures. I have seen baby beavers before, which was wonderful, but they were at Sarvey and waiting to be re-released. It was amazing to see an adult beaver in the wild! I plan to go back, and if Im lucky I will get to see the babies go out for a swim - I think I will be here long enough :)

No comments: